1. Pour several drops into a small glass and warm the oil briefly by cupping the vessel in the palm of your hand.
2. Deeply inhale the aroma. Does it smell of fresh olive fruit?
3. Taste the oil on its own or pour it onto a small piece of bread to eat. As it passes over the palate, inhale slightly through the nose to maximize the experience of the fruity olive flavor.
4. Concentrate on the bitter notes that bring dimension to the flavor and that indicate freshness and the presence of health-giving antioxidants and polyphenols.
5. Feel the tickle at the back of the throat—the peppery finish—which also corresponds to freshness and nutritional value.