Makes: 1 sandwich
- Bellucci extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into 1/8-inch half moons
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 3x5-inch piece of focaccia cut in half horizontally
- 2 slices salted mozzarella, 1/4-inch thick
- 4 marinated artichoke halves, drained
- 1/2 roasted red bell pepper,sliced into 1-inch strips
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Coat a medium saucepan with Bellucci EVOO, and place over medium low heat.
3. Add onions, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the onions from burning. The onions will become very soft, golden brown and sweet. Place on a plate to cool.
4. Place each focaccia half on a baking sheet and toast in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or, alternately, toast in a toaster.
5. Place toasted focaccia on a plate, cut-side up. Drizzle with an generous amount of Bellucci EVOO to moisten the bread on both halves.
6. Spread the caramelized onions on one half. layer the mozzarella, artichokes and pepper on top of the onions. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Top with the other focaccia half and serve warm.