Makes: 1 sandwich
- Bellucci extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half, then sliced into 1/8-inch half moons
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 small crusty Italian roll, sliced in half
- 3 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 small tomato, sliced crosswise, ¼-inch thick
- 1 small turkey (or chicken) cutlet (about 2 ounces), cooked and sliced
1. Coat a medium saucepan with Bellucci EVOO, and heat over medium low heat.
2. Add onions, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the onions from burning. The onions will become very soft, golden brown and sweet. Place on a plate to cool.
3. Place each half of the roll on a plate, cut-side up. Drizzle with an ample amount of Bellucci EVOO on both halves to moisten the bread.
4. Layer the prosciutto, tomato, turkey and caramelized onions on top. Top with the other half of roll.